Monday, April 17, 2006

Kum & Go

You know, as much as I enjoy coming up with catchy titles, who can improve on that name?

So, it's Sunday and I bopped into Kum & Go to get some gas on my way out of town. I decided I needed a candy bar for the road (Almond Joy, perfect for sharing). As I'm writing my check, the gal behind the counter picks up a newspaper and puts it under my candy bar. Apparently they're free with a fill up. Having already spent my 7 minutes on Sunday perusing everything of importance in the News-Leader, I declined my free paper. So the gal behind the counter pitches it in the trash. Read that last line again so I won't have to re-write it for emphasis.

Yup. She pictched it in the trash. So I asked her, "Why don't you just give it to another customer?" And she says, "We have way too many to begin with." Or something like that.

So I think about the import of that for a moment, and I innocently ask, "Do you recycle?" And she said, "No."

So I leave. At that point it was time. I mean, she'd checked my ID and given me my receipt. Leaping over the counter and putting her into the trash bin along with my paper would've been a bit over the top. Besides, there were actually two women behind the counter and I'm not a big guy. Getting my ass kicked on a Sunday morning over a newspaper would've been a bit much.

But maybe it would've been better than feeling weird guilt for the rest of the day that some how I was responsible for not recycling my newspaper. I do know that Kum & Go has seen the last of this little black duck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home