Monday, November 13, 2006

Freedom Is Free

This is purely a case of linguistics. I'm talking about the bumper sticker. I've seen it on church marquees. I'm talking about the catch phrase: Freedom is not Free. This phrase has bothered me for a long time, because, like so many church marquees and bumper stickers, they sound good but they just don't make a lick of sense if you think about them. And I think I finally have a handle on it. Freedom, by definition, must be free.

To qualify myself up front: I believe, unfortunately, that from time to time we must defend our country and others. We must be prepared to stop aggressors and to prevent inhumane treatment of people everywhere. And, equally unfortunate, that will cost lives. My father was one of those who fought for what we call freedom. He was on Tiapan and Iwo Jima. He saw the famous flag as it was being raised. It messed him up. But I digress.

My father, like almost every veteran (maybe even me), has paid the cost for what we call freedom. It doesn't matter who pays for it. If it is paid for, it is not free. No argument on that point.

But, technically speaking, it's not freedom. We have limited rights. But we are not truly free. No one is. No one can be. I mean, are we really free to drive to Denver tonight? Certainly, I could, but I'd catch hell for it tomorrow. Well, I'd still be getting there tomorrow, but you get my point. My boss would wonder what the hell I'm doing in Denver. So would my wife. So would I. The point is, there would be a price to pay. There is always a price to pay. For anything. Go back to Econ 51. Opportunity cost. If you don't know what that is... Dude, get an education. Of course, that's not free either.

The point is, nothing is free. Therefore, there is truly no freedom. It's what we, in the linguistic business, call a utopic concept. However, if there were (freedom, that is), it would have to be free.

Wow. Was that as confusing as I think it wasn't?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home