Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I'm Not Making This Up

(or, Charley, You'er in Trouble)

So I'm sitting around last night and the phone rings, as it's wont to do, especially with the mid-term elections fast approaching. And on the other end of the phone was a young man who wanted to speak with me, but only because I'm a registered voter.

He identified himself as a caller for Charley Denison, who's running for reelection for something or the other -- Charley, not the guy who called me. After my phone call with Charley's worker, I only have one question for Mr. Denison: How the hell did you ever get elected the first time?

So this young man asks me if I were planning on vothing for Denison, and I asked him, "Does Charley support George W. Bush?" And the young man said, "I'm not sure. Mr. Denison is a Democrat, if that answers your question." To which I replied, "No. Just because he's a Democrat doesn't mean he doesn't support Bush." The young man countered, "I don't know. I don't know any of his personal beliefs." I should've stopped there, but it was too easy. Undaunted, I pursued my line of questioning. I asked, "Does Mr. Denison support the war in Iraq?" Once again he answered that he didn't know. In fact, he didn't know any of Mr. Denison's "personal beliefs." So I just straight out asked him if he were planning on voting for Mr. Denison. To which he softly answered (and, no, I'm not making this up): "No. I'm sorry." Then he mumbled something that could've been good night, or "I'm going to find a rope, now." After which he hung up.

Wow. This whole campaigning process is so enlightening. I wish more people would call. You know, usually I vote Democrat, but in Mr. Denison's case, I believe I'll make an exception. Wow. Just Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home