Saturday, September 23, 2006

R is for Red...Red Necked Mother

One of my students commented that he is often perceived as a dumb redneck. According to him, he's not a dumb redneck. He's a smart redneck. Now, in all fairness, I don't know this guy well enough to comment on him personally... But it did raise an interesting question: What's a redneck? And then, is it possible to be a smart one? If redneck is truly a bad thing to be (and I'm not necessarily saying it is), then is choosing to be one a smart thing to do?

OK, back to the original questions: What is a redneck?

No, really, I don't know. I've always assumed that it was someone who was a racist, sexist, opinionated hick. As such, the only difference between a redneck and a generic asshole was cowboy boots. But is that fair? I'll have to ask him and get back to you on this one.

Comon...If anybody reads this at all...What is a redneck?

1 Comments:

Blogger Betty B. said...

Add homophobic and anti-semitic and I think you have it summed up.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home