Monday, September 18, 2006

Observations from the Road

One of my driving pastimes is to read the church marquees. I finally have proof that these are shared. Well, not necessarily proof... OK, so here's the deal. There's a church marquee just west of Republic that has out front: "Don't wait for six strong men to take you to church." Or something like that. Never mind that if you never went to church, why would you want a church funeral? But I saw the exact same one in Arkansas this weekend.

There must be a web site out there, or maybe a church publication. I even imagine they include lessons, maybe even entire sermons. Kind of takes the blessing out of Sunday, knowing that the pastor just cuts and pastes his or her sermons. But I'm certain not all of them do. Does yours?

So anyway, there I was driving in Arkansas, and I saw a marquee that said: "The happiest people are too busy to know it." Pardon me, but what the hell does that mean? I mean, what is the point of being happy if you don't know it? Logically then, if you do know it, does it mean that you really aren't happy? Or does it mean that you're just happy, but not the happiest? Does it mean if I'm in a slave galley rowing a boat 20 hours a day that I really am happy because I don't know it? I would love to hear the sermon that goes with that one.

1 Comments:

Blogger thinkingthings said...

I thought it was supposed to be those who are clapping their hands were the happy ones...as in: if you're happy and you know it clap your hands.

Or maybe that is just for the folks who've figured out the sound of one hand clapping. No, wait, that's the buddhists, and I am pretty sure their idea of enlightenment is to be free from feelings.

Ah well. At least while I was busy typing this I was happy.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home