Thursday, December 15, 2005

More Fun with the State Game

I'm well on my way to 50. For those of you new to the game, the object is to get all 50 states with names that actually describe the state. Have fun. Join in. Send money. Suggest that your local state drop their current motto and adopt mine. I mean, who was New Jersey kidding when they called themselves "the garden state"? More like "the swamp state" or "the toxic waste state." Of course, those are names that probably won't inspire tourism. And Arkansas...they used to call themselves "the land of opportunity." When they realized they weren't kidding anybody, they changed it to "the natural state." I'm still trying to figure out what is naturally there. Hey, here's a good motto for South Dakota: It Could Be Worse. Oh well, On to the game!

A state of trepidation -- I'm just showing off with a big word. I'm tempted to say NY, but I really don't know why.

A state of confusion -- Florida (2000 presidential elections; say no more)

A state of despair -- Missouri (Come visit sometime.)

A state of mind -- I'll be damned if I know. It sure as hell isn't Missouri.

A state of anxiety -- Louisiana (say no more)

A state of decay -- Michigan (just think Detroit)

A suicidal state -- New Jersy (see above)

A state of denial -- Texas (think environment and Houston; think Bush; and while we're on the subject of Texas, why is it that you don't see bumper stickers that say "Don't Mess With Delaware"? I've been to Texas. They can keep it.

A psychotic state -- California

A persistant vegatative state -- Idaho

An emotional state -- Nevada (gambling, legalized prostitution, and a god-forsaken desert -- what more could you want?)

You get the idea. There are 40 to go.
And here's the fun part. Now that I've put the idea in your head, try not doing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home