Thursday, December 15, 2005

Willful Ignorance

Did anyone catch the president's press conference the other day? Bush used a big word and then jokingly commented that he was "showing off." Wow. I often use big words myself. I sometimes use words with three syllables. Even more. I don't use them on purpose. I just use them. And I never thought I was showing off. I guess I was wrong. I always assumed having an expanded vocabulary was just a by-product of being educated.

What really bothers me is that what is implied is that there is ultimately no value in being educated. At best, having an education is silly--something to be laughed at, and at worst, people who use big words aren't to be trusted. Who needs an education when common sense will do? And we all know that common sense is always right.

Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home