Thursday, June 01, 2006

Being a Royals Fan

Let me explain. I have been a Royals fan all my life. I grew up in Independence, MO, just two miles from the new stadium. I say "new" because I remember going to the old stadium. I followed the Royals before they even had a mascot. The Kansas City Athletics had a mascot. Charley Finley had a mule that he kept tied up out past left field. I believe he took the mule with him to Oakland. Oakland was a little rougher of a town than KC, though. They ate him. First the mule, then Charley. Regradless, Kansas City did not have a team for two years. Then, in '69 we got the Royals, an expansion team. Yippee! I even got to carry the Missouri flag onto the field for the National Anthem before a game in the old Municipal Stadium. I was Boy Scout then, but that's a different story.

So I grew up with the Royals. Gaye Leslie even broke my heart. Yes, that's a real name. Don't believe me? Go to Van Horn High School on the Internet. Find the yearbook for 1975. See, I wasn't kidding. Gaye used to go out onto the field during the 4th inning and do flip flops. She actually worked for the Royals. George Toma did her lawn. I would drive past her house every night and wonder why she only liked me for a friend. But I digress.

You see. The thing is, the Royals have always been a part of my life. Hell, one summer I went to at least 60 games. No kidding. We'd ride our bikes to the stadium and sneak in GA. I've sat in every seat of the stadium. I have serious plans to have my ashes scattered in center field, whether the stadium allows it or not.

My favourite all-time Royal? Frank White. Brett was good, but Frank had the better glove, and his batting was right up there.

OK. So it brings me to a bigger problem. How can I stay a Royals fan when, arguably, they are the worst team in baseball? No, I'm not just talking this year, I'm talking ever. I know they haven't managed to beat those all time worst season records...yet. But what about combined seasons? Has any team ever lost 400 games in 4 years? The Royals are on track to do it.

And then, the other day it came to me. All I had to do was embrace their badness. If they won't win, then cheer them on to lose. Take pride in being a fan of the worst team. After all, anybody can cheer for a good team, but it takes a lot of nerve to cheer on a foregone conclusion. And besides, I'm also an Atlanta fan.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Being a Texas Ranger fan for the last 25 years, I understand. The Royals have won the World Series and my Rangers have continued to lead to heart ache. They have been in a total of two play off series and lost both to the hated Yankees. I understand embracing the badness. Been there and done that.

My father is a Royals fan that is in the same boat that you are in.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home