Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Road-Side Crosses

You know those road-side crosses
with the faded, artificial flowers
and the limp mylar balloons
and the rain-soaked teddy bears
marking where people have died?
I steal them.

I used to be sneaky and wait until dark,
but any more I just pull over whenever
and toss them into the back of my truck with the others.

There's a lot back there,
what with the little picket fences
and the decoupaged plaques with the day-glow lettering.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them
once my bed is full.

I could just dump them out somewhere
and start over again.

I could try to remember where I got them
and put them back,
as if nothing ever happened.

Or I could just leave them in the truck,
stacked pell-mell as they are.
Who knows, they may come in hand some day
should I drop off behind the wheel.

Fortunately I don't have to make a decision.
Not yet.
My bed's not nearly half-full.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home