Thursday, February 02, 2006

How Many Groundhogs Would a Woodchuck Chuck?

It was about several years ago today that I underwent perhaps maybe one of the most possibly profound life changing experiences in a while. Oh yes. I used to be a skeptic. I would scoff at the groundhog. I was even known to make a guffaw or two. I mean, seriously, I found it ludicrous that anybody could put any credence whatsoever in a rodent's predicting the weather (of course, those were the days before Ted Keller).

But then it happened. As I was going to work on that fateful February 2nd, I happened to witness--to actually see--a groundhog seeing his shadow. Split infinitive and all. I know how Moses must have felt when he came off the mountain. Dirty, tired, and not really wanting to go back to work, but I digress. But here's the point: She did see her shadow and there was 6 more weeks of winter! That's better than Ted on his best day.

Over the years I have come to see Groundhog's Day as the perfect holiday. You need do nothing. There are no cards. There are no decorations. There are no songs. No special foods. There are no expectations whatsoever. There aren't even any Groundhog's Day sales. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't celebrate it in your own way. My own way involves a lot of alcohol. So raise a glass to Puxatoney!

By the way, that wiley rodent did see his shadow this morning. So there'll be 6 mores weeks of global warming enhanced winter. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home