Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I Would Love to be a Republican

It would be so comforting to believe that I need do absolutely nothing but cast my ballot and everything will be just fine. Everything will be taken care of for me.

I would love to believe that we can pay less taxes and have more things. That what is best for corporations and big business will ultimately be best for us.

I would love to believe that we actually can win a war on terror. I would love to believe that the United States has done nothing wrong. That people hate us solely because we are so good. That we can eventually kill enough people and use enough force that everybody in the world that hates us and wishes us harm will either be gone or change their minds. They will unanamously agree that we are right.

I would love to believe that we can give up any, even all, of our rights and be safer, and that no one will ever misuse that power. That I’ll never be wrongly accused of anything and forgotten in a jail cell. That I can trust the government to do the right thing.

I would love to believe that if we allow religion into our government the United States will actually become a more moral country, and no one with a differing point of view will ever be discriminated against. That you can be morally superior.

I would love to believe that nothing we’re doing to the environment is truly bad. There is no hole in the ozone. There is no global warming. Carbon monoxide emisions all harmlessly dissipate. That short term jobs are truly more important than long term ecological losses, such as old growth forests and pristine wild life preserves.

I would love to believe that there is an inexhaustible supply of oil and it’s perfectly OK to keep buying bigger and bigger SUVs. That it’s acutally patriotic to be inefficient. And that the United States would never occupy a country simply for its oil.

I would love to believe that we’re really concerened about the poor, about health care, about the elderly, about the disinfranchised and down-trodden, even if it is not cost effecient. About leaving the world a better place than we found it.

I would love to believe all of this, but I know it’s all simply not true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home